The ground floor parlour to the right of the front door now exhibits mid-Victorian profiles, a version of the cyma with a rounded edge fillet, the familiar cyma with sloped fillet to panel moulds. A heavy plaster cornice runs around the room and a rosette with turned band and centre ornament is characteristic of the late 1860’s or early 1870’s. Some of this moulding was removed to uncover the birdcage bar from the earlier period.
The current restoration of the parlour includes both the birdcage bar from the earlier period and the remains of the later Victorian moulding and ornaments installed after the birdcage was removed when the room was reconverted to a parlour. There may also have been two small parlour bedrooms to the rear at one time, but this is unclear.
An early photograph of the house shows an ornately decorated verandah across the entire front of the house. This photograph also shows the Victorian tape pointing on the façade of the house (a thin mortar rendering over the stone walls in imitation of smooth, cut ashlar stone work). Some of this tape pointing still remains on the lower half of the front facade.
Joseph Chellew Jr. purchased the house from his father in 1892 for one thousand dollars, and by 1902, the property had been sold to a Mr. Lafontain B. Powers. There is a stone shed addition built across the back of the house from the kitchen wing (this is known to have been built as a garage in the early 1900’s, replacing an older wooden porch which ran along the east side of the kitchen. The Powers also purportedly opened the wall of the hearth of the original structure in the rear wing (later the kitchen), to use it as an opening for sorting fruit.